Wednesday, December 11, 2013

a music corner

A music corner - something I always imagined I'd have in my own home.  Though in my days of imagining I assumed I would have ALWAYS had one.  In my college days, I would never have imagined days of not playing my flute or singing in a choir.  Even in my early adult and working days, I would never have thought I would pick up my beloved instrument only once or twice a year.

Being a musician defined my early life.  Lessons, rehearsals, ensembles, solos, concerts, church services...this is what I recall of my youth.  I excelled and knew competence.  I failed and knew defeat.  I worked hard and showed talent.  Music was part of my fiber and I knew it would always be.

So, to find that the early part of parenthood for me would be defined by many other things than music surprised me greatly.  My flute has been largely packed away.  Performances few and far between.  No solos, no ensembles, no concerts.  There is a piece of me packed away in those things hoping someday to find its way back out.  But such is the life of a parent.  The makings of a life for three little people have taken center stage.

When they were little, I dreamed of piano players and vocalists...watching them learn and master instruments.  I delighted in any sign of innate rhythm and talent.  And then I watched them show interest in soccer, t-ball, basketball, video games, gymnastics, cheerleading, art.  I love to see them each explore new things and even to shine now and then.  But I have to admit, my heart grew heavy with each non-musical interest.

But this summer, it happened.  One, then another, and still another, expressed interest in piano.  Now the sounds of simple tunes, melodies, and harmonies, wrong notes and wrong rhythms fill my home.  More so, they fill my heart.  To hear the sweet exercises in treble and bass, to help them learn their notes, to count and sing along.  This is the stuff of my dreams.  I am thrilled!  We've added viola to the offering and I've been able to play my flute along with them.  It's truly delightful!

Among all the pieces of furniture that make our house home, we've now added a music corner.  I'm not one to function well in clutter, but I welcome this clutter with open arms and a joyous voice.  Singing along and making music!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your encouragement and positive thoughts about my posts. I do appreciate your encouragement and support through my journey.

Peace be with you.