Tuesday, May 28, 2013

affirmation: a balancing act

You may know that this has been a time of transition for me.  I elected to change positions earlier this semester and knew that the energy required would impact my way of being in every part of my life.  And, so it has.

Papa Bear and I have had to rethink dinner, homework and weeknight activities.  We've had to rethink church and religious education commitments.  We've adjusted for nighttime meetings and weekend events on campus.  We've had to be intentional with the time we do have together.  I've taken days off to be home when the kids have no school.  I'm working to adapt my summer schedule to be home earlier as well.  It's a balancing act, to be sure.

Some things had to go.  If I was to spend my time and energy on my own professional development, this "me time" in this space had to take a back seat.  I offer that not as excuse, not because I feel guilty, but because it simply had to be.  Perhaps I've learned through this transition something different than many transitions before.  I CANNOT have it all!

After many wonderful evenings with students and a whirlwind of new activities, student leaders, and events, along came an affirmation.  One that I needed in a moment of sheer exhaustion.  Students honored the balance I've attempted to achieve.  They honored me in front of the world (or at least our little world of campus). In a silent attempt to honor the greatness of all people who make our academic community work, they celebrated me, and my motherhood, and my professional life, and the balance that holds all three together.

I like to pride myself on my ability to succeed and persist based on my own internal motivation to do so.  But, I have to be honest. Knowing others see what I've hoped to BE is a wonderful feeling, one for which I am truly grateful.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your encouragement and positive thoughts about my posts. I do appreciate your encouragement and support through my journey.

Peace be with you.