Thursday, June 6, 2013

a silly little thing

My Facebook status this morning read:

Agenda for our first day of summer break: strawberry picking, making jam, swimming.
Weather for our first day of summer break: cloudy and raining. Bummer!

So we didn't get to head into the acres of strawberry fields, stooping low to find those sweet berries, tasting a few as we go (ahem), and staining our fingers red.  Maybe next time.

There was a moment where I was truly worried.  I've been quietly waiting for those roadside signs, made of wood and hand-painted, that read STRAWBERRIES - 1 MILE. Two days ago my van rounded the bend and there it was - that Amish farm sign with that sweet, sweet message - the strawberries are ready!




 The strawberries are ready, just as we are preparing to leave our home and travel to the much warmer air of Texas where there will be no such sweetness this time of year.  There will be water, lots of it.  And family and cousins, and relaxing, and swimming.  But my stubborn mind was anxious to put away freezer jam before this short berry season passed us by.



I did manage to buy 4 quarts of berries this morning and was able to get jam loaded in the freezer.  And, the kind lady at the farm stand assured me the berries would still be ripening when we return from our vacation.  



How silly to fret over a few jars of jam.  How silly to worry that we'd miss the season.  Sigh!

So I'm moving from my silly, but very yummy jam, to packing, laundry, packing, and... did I say packing!

May you know the seasons and all their blessings in every ounce of your being and may you have the sense to stay rooted in this very present moment!


1 comment:

  1. Oh I understand that seed of worry dear friend! Strawberries have been my big lament about our crazy transition this summer! While we did manage some picking (very little, and tear laden) I have sorely missed the chance to make loads of freezer jelly! But my resolve to make tons next year has increased!

    Hugs to you and your sweet family! Been missing you in this space and in real life!

    Claudine

    ReplyDelete

Please share your encouragement and positive thoughts about my posts. I do appreciate your encouragement and support through my journey.

Peace be with you.