Wednesday, November 13, 2013

a giving heart

The baby was born weighing only 15 ounces, read the newsletter.  Before I knew what the article was about, I'd begun reading it aloud right in the midst of little ears.  He's doing well and gaining weight, it continued.  But Mom has had to take a leave from work and travel daily to the city (over an hour away).  They could use our help.

Feeling empathy as only mothers can, this story struck me to my core.  I could feel the hollow in my heart that would never mend if I were her.  The terror in the thought of this being my child.  The gratitude that it never was.  Tears streamed my face and my children fell silent, intently listening for the ending.

As the final words of instruction for families wishing to make donations fell from my lips, Peace bolted from the room. I was fearful this story had been too much for her sensitive heart.  Then I realized... she had bolted for the very first $10 she earned in chores just the day before.  Following her lead, Pie found every penny, nickel, dime, and quarter she could fit in her tiny little hands.  



Together they made cards pondering what would be the best message for this family.  Should the message be of hope? of peace? simply to say we are sorry? The envelopes were stuffed with every possible monetary contribution the two of them could make and even wishes they had more to give.



How much is 15 ounces Daddy? He found a can of green beans in the pantry and helped them feel the weight.  How much should a baby weigh Daddy? Something like this gallon of milk.  Flickers of knowing and sadness in each set of eyes as they lifted that gallon.

Then, talk of how they could spread the word ensued.  We'll tell our friends and our class and collect money for this family.  Their kindness and generosity contagious and palpable.

For all the busyness of our home, this was a moment that made time stop.  We were still and with one another and safe and thankful.  I was in awe of the children who have blessed me with the name Mom.


1 comment:

  1. Glad to see you are back to blogging! Hang in there.
    Peace
    Erin

    ReplyDelete

Please share your encouragement and positive thoughts about my posts. I do appreciate your encouragement and support through my journey.

Peace be with you.