Sunday, January 15, 2012

a special box

This box is amazing!


A simple gift given to my children by a loving community of faith.

It's story is even grand.  

When we lived near this community of faith, I was very involved in the music program.  Music is, after all, my most meaningful form of worship.  Music touches me on levels nothing else can.  Not prayer. Not meditation. Not communion. Nothing. (I digress)

There came a time when this faith community needed to replace the old pipe organ.  It was just time.  Though there was great sensitivity about the waste created in this process.  What to do with the old pipes? the wood casing?  This old church of mine repurposed every piece.  EVERY piece.

This box - is our small piece of that organ.  Every piece of this box was made from the wood of that old organ.  The organ that I sang with. The organ that accompanied countless solos.  The organ that has a solid hold on my heart.  

This box is the first of it's kind.  The first.  And somehow that feels special, too.

It's grandness, however, does not stop on the outside of this box.




The inside holds special treasures as well.  You see, this is a baptism box, made for each child of God for their baptism day.  In ours, you will find baptism trinkets and reminders of other special events in the faith lives of my children.  Sometimes it is just a reminder of something special (a lock of hair from their first haircut, a recording of the 911 call placed when I was in labor with my second child).  Each of our baptism boxes is filled with wonder and stories.  Each box contains our past, just like it contains the music of that organ!

Today, these boxes also contained our lesson.  We read about Jesus' baptism, talked about our own, explored our boxes, and performed a baptism.  






It was a beautiful morning!

1 comment:

  1. I love this entry. You are doing such a fantastic and meaningful job of teaching your children about their connection to God and about their own special uniqueness. I love what you're doing...keep up the good work.mom

    ReplyDelete

Please share your encouragement and positive thoughts about my posts. I do appreciate your encouragement and support through my journey.

Peace be with you.