Monday, January 16, 2012

falling short

Today is the celebration of the life of Martin Luther King, Jr.  I'm sure you know that already.

Image borrowed from Google homepage

On my way home from work, I heard a story of a young woman who was a college student so desperate to continue her college studies in the face of extreme financial difficulty that she robbed a bank.  What pierced me, though, was her admission that she could not ask for help - oh whom? where?

My students returned to campus today and my student staff spent the day in training.  The topic - Safe Zone.  We talked about creating safe and inclusive educational environments so that students are free to learn.  We watched a documentary about a gay male student who sued a school district for failing to protect him for harassment and abuse.  It was a powerful film.

My work is certainly not that of Dr. King.  I have not changed the world through a personal fight for justice.  But, I hope, in the work I love, that I've created safe spaces.  I hope I've made students comfortable enough to ask for help.  I hope I've fought a little fight, now and again, to be sure everyone has a voice at the table.  

This is important work.  A responsibility I take seriously.  So much so that I sit here tears streaming down my face in my emotional exhaustion of having immersed myself in it today. THIS is my purpose!

What pains me is the knowledge that I have fallen short.  There are students who will not approach me.  There are students who do not know I'm an ally.  There are students who have not learned from me what I have to teach.  This work will never be done.

So, today, as I reflect on the message of Dr. King, I ask for strength to continue the fight, courage to continue teaching, and patience with myself along the way.  May a student never leave my presence feeling defeated, excluded, patronized, or helpless.

How has Dr. King influenced your life?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your encouragement and positive thoughts about my posts. I do appreciate your encouragement and support through my journey.

Peace be with you.