Wednesday, May 9, 2012

on my commute

How many people do you know that can say they absolutely love their commute to work?  Well, I do!

I've come to know the rhythm and flow of the seasons through my commute.  While I drive these 12 miles nearly every day, it seems I never travel the same road twice. One day I might see land; where heavy rain fall might leave a river the next.  

In the winter, I see snow and ice, barren trees and slumbering fields.  Yet, I see cattle and horses and farmers working despite the frosty temps.

In the summer, I see corn fields visibly lengthening each new week and soy beans in alternating fields.  I see colorful wild flowers which help me track the time - orange day lilies, light purple and white bells, and yellow ragweed (itchy nose, ahem!).

In autumn, I see beautiful shades of green, brown, orange, red, and yellows in the trees and in the fields.  The fields and woods always seem to speak of slowing and resting as fall arrives.

But spring!  Oh, spring!  The earth awakens and I can almost touch the energy coming from nature.  The fields are plowed in neat little rows.  The greens appear, every known shade.  The green of the grass.  The bright green of trees budding juxtaposed with the deep green pines.  The emerald green of the roadside wild flowers almost buzzing as my van drives along.  

Then there are the birds and butterflies of spring.  Just last week I counted nearly 100 flying creatures whipping joyfully near my van.  The butterflies orange, black, and brown.  Small birds dawning the same colors.  Sparrows, robins, blue birds and red.  Even wild turkeys! I hear the woodpeckers, too.

Sometimes, though not as often as I should, I surrender to the urge to stop, and look, and smell, and breathe, (and take pictures!). I'm thinking that when I do, I'll share the joys of the week's commute with you and hope that you enjoy them too.  Here's what's happening this week on my commute:




1 comment:

  1. How beautifully you describe your daily travel! What a gift it is that you get to experience the earth in such a tangible, every day way!!

    ReplyDelete

Please share your encouragement and positive thoughts about my posts. I do appreciate your encouragement and support through my journey.

Peace be with you.