Tuesday, February 14, 2012

my funny valentine

This kid is not a crafty kid.  At least he doesn't think so.


Then, one day, when his sister's were occupied with other things and mom sitting at the craft table, he meandered over.  

"What are you doing Mom?"

"Making Valentine's," I reply.


"Can I make some?"

"I'd love that.  Can you make them for the kids in your class?"

With eyeballs rolled back in his head and a click of the tongue, "That's a lot of cards, Mom."

"Why don't you start with a few and I'll help."

Excitedly, but with apprehension, "OK."


And the work begins.  Soon he finds his creative rhythm.  A pattern on each card.  That will work.  He explains the pattern to me and together we make 25 cards.

Midway through our creative stint, he suggests, "Maybe I'll just do cards for the boys today and finish the rest later..."


But when we reach that point, he likes his found momentum and decides to keep on.

As we complete the last card, his sense of pride is oozing out of every pore.


"Mom, I can't believe how many I made.  I didn't think I could do this many.  Wow!"  And on and on.


I don't know what attracted him to this creative space today.  But, I'm sure glad something did!

5 comments:

  1. Milenna just saw these pictures and said, wow, Jacob looks a lot older...I said, well, he is older...and she said, no I mean older than 8 1/2, I think it's his hair!

    I like to see him be creative - that's the little bit of Aunt Lana that he got : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that he is creative. He is an awesome kid.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's awesome - whgat a great project!
    -Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are great valentines! How awesome that he was inspired. I love how you hang with him. That's awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fantastic! And bravo to you Mama for giving him the gentle encouragement, but mostly the space and time to be creative!

    ReplyDelete

Please share your encouragement and positive thoughts about my posts. I do appreciate your encouragement and support through my journey.

Peace be with you.