Thursday, September 15, 2011

Made from Scratch

There's just something about naturally homemade.  

From my own youth, I recall September Sundays spent in the kitchen with the aroma of spaghetti sauce cooking down and the fruit flies leading the way to sweet smelling Concord grapes awaiting their jam or juice destiny. The memory of the oppressive heat from the hot water bath and canning jars, in the absence of whole house air conditioning, comes swirling back each humid, summer afternoon.  Despite the heat and the long hours of hard work, we knew there was goodness in each of the resultant jars.

Earlier this summer, my husband and I embarked on a little homemade of our own and spent this past weekend preserving our harvest.  Although, I shouldn't really say "our" harvest!  Let's just say we'll be enjoying a lot of fried green tomatoes!  But, my dad had a wonderful crop of plum tomatoes and a beautiful crop of Concord grapes. (Whew!)

So, with kids-in-tow, we went picking.  









Then, we. . .

Cleaned




Cut


Squeezed


Cooked


Canned





It was a wonderful, fulfilling weekend.   With the "wait a minute honey's" and the "not now honey's," even our youngest knew that this was something special.  In these moments of time spent with family and immersed in the glorious bounty of our earth, I couldn't help but know God's presence.  And you can't box that!

2 comments:

  1. Love love love these photos -- and look at all of what you canned! Yum!

    I think you've inspired me with the grapes...I'll be in touch to get the recipes, and the tips!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a wonderful day of family time! We never canned anything at our house when I was growing up, so it was kind of intimidating to start doing it on my own a few years ago... but I took the plunge and have gained some confidence - on a rather small scale!
    -Cindy

    ReplyDelete

Please share your encouragement and positive thoughts about my posts. I do appreciate your encouragement and support through my journey.

Peace be with you.