Tuesday, April 17, 2012

creating childhood stories

We parent from what we know - our own childhood, what we've learned along our own journey, and attempting to be two steps ahead of what our kids will learn along their own paths.  Papa Bear and I love to share "When we were young..." stories with our eager listeners.  Sometimes we laugh together at those stories.


I remember many of the stories my own parents shared about their childhood.  It seems to me that neither of my parents had a childhood much like that of my own children.  I can recall vivid examples of using their imagination, connecting with communities full of other children, being outside much of each day, and living each day fully.  My children have much more stuff and hardly leave our side, mostly because our fears of their safety preclude us from sending them out into the neighborhood to play.  It is just a different world.

So, when an opportunity comes to remove ourselves from today's world and share with grandparents a piece of their childhood, I'm thankful that not all is lost.  

A few weeks back, on a beautiful, sunny, spring day, we had this opportunity.  The air was cool, my campus was empty of students, and the wind was flying just enough.  Grandma took us kite flying.  

Each of my children took to kite flying in a different way.  One had kites soaring in the air quickly.  Another had some successful flights and knee dropping crashes.  The youngest simply enjoyed rolling in the grass and watching everyone else.  Grandma was behind each child - with praise, with encouragement, picking them up, putting their kites back in the air.












I was reminded of a simpler time, even that of my own childhood, and was grateful that my children can know a little of that time.

Thank you, Grandma!

2 comments:

  1. You're welcome, and thank you for letting me have just a little piece of each one of your children. Definitely, my pleasure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like so much fun! :)
    -Cindy

    ReplyDelete

Please share your encouragement and positive thoughts about my posts. I do appreciate your encouragement and support through my journey.

Peace be with you.