Monday, April 23, 2012

mourning song

This poem was written in response to the recent loss suffered by my brother-in-law and sister-in-law.  At 21 weeks pregnant, they lost their baby.  This is an experience I've faced many times, thankfully never my own pregnancy.  

There is a wound so deep,
a pain so piercing,
that it renders the soul helpless, hopeless.
For each the circumstance different.
None less.
None more.

Death mirrors life, I know.
Natural, necessary.
But a desperately wanted,
deeply loved unborn child.
There is no understanding in that.

Certainly science can offer explanation and cause.
Though these moments beckon for something spiritual, 
a greater connection, a purpose.
As necessary as death is my belief in the connectedness of all life.
One life must be lost so another may be lived fully?

Farewell sweet Ethan.
Blessed are the moments your parents could hold you 
before you parted ways.
Befriend our dear Gracie.
Sing with her in the Heavens.
And fly.
Together.
Fly.


4 comments:

  1. I'm so very sorry for them, Gina. My niece,just went through this in March (at 21 weeks - same timing... ), it's devastating. {{{Hugs}}} to everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, this breaks my heart! And yes, brings back soooo many feelings. Ones that I live with everyday, but not as strongly as when I'm reminded of her loss by the loss of another wee little one. God Bless them! And yes, Ethan, please sing with my Gracie!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have tears streaming reading this. My cousin just gave birth to her baby at 24 weeks. She is so fragile and so small. Our prayer is for her to live.

    You have a gift mama. Your heart comes through every word. I am so very sorry to hear of the loss of your sweet nephew. Fly free baby Ethan <3

    ReplyDelete

Please share your encouragement and positive thoughts about my posts. I do appreciate your encouragement and support through my journey.

Peace be with you.