Saturday, February 16, 2013

learning to celebrate

To be honest, I'm not much of a Valentine's Day fan.  My husband and I have never celebrated it, both agreeing that it is a commercial holiday without which we'd both still know fully that we love one another.  So there!

As with most lessons in life, however, our children have taught us a bit about savoring this celebration.  Each of them shared something of themselves this year that made this holiday meaningful.  Their contributions were as unique as their personalities and offered "straight from the heart."  As cliche as this may sound, I see it this way as if for the first time.

Mr. Man offered his humor and love for writing.  He and a friend have been working on a comic series featuring their hero: Super Volt.  Super Volt is certainly a hero, but quite a funny guy as well.  So, I encouraged them to draw pieces for a Valentine's Day card which I scanned and turned into greeting cards.  They had so much fun, as did both mothers supporting this endeavor.  Super Volt found his way onto the party bag as well.  





 
 Pie delighted in simply being able to use letters to express herself.  No fancy drawings, no glitz or glamour.  Just the few letters of her name accompanied by the meaningful use of other recently learned words - mommy, daddy, love.  I've always enjoyed watching my children glow in the joy of learning early literacy skills.




Peace connected with the spirit of this holiday through her writing.  Her written pieces abound with messages of unconditional love, sharing, compassion, helping others in need.  Oh. my. heart. swelled. with each new work.  Her understanding of justice and sharing and giving is just so rich and inspiring.  To see the world through her heart and eyes...



Here's a sampling of one of my favorites:

I love Valentine's Day because you get Valentine cards and people write very nice words in them.  I also like Valentine's Day because during Valentine's Day it's time to love.  Valentine's Day is one of my favorite holidays because I like to get crafte (crafty) with my Valentine's cards and bag.  Another reason I like Valentine's day is because people have fun and I enjoy seeing that.  And, last but not least, I like Valentine's Day because you share, smile, have fun, and it's just really fun.

I'm so thankful to have carved out moments to watch these personalities unfold this Valentine's Day.  They are wonderful, full of life, and, genuinely, full of love.  And that is worth celebrating!




Happy Valentine's Day to you my friends!

1 comment:

  1. I love these creations!! How you supported their art is wonderful! The printed comics of Super Volt -- AWESOME!!

    ReplyDelete

Please share your encouragement and positive thoughts about my posts. I do appreciate your encouragement and support through my journey.

Peace be with you.