Monday, November 14, 2011

Swinging

I have a swing in my family room.  Yep, a swing.  It's really a hammock modified to function like a swing.


And . . . it's hanging from the ceiling - 2 eye bolts and metal chain links! I wish you could have seen my husband's face when I told him this is how we would be hanging the swing.  Ahem.


My sister has one, too.  The inspiration came from her daughter's physical therapist.  A great core strength builder for the many cold, indoor months.  Though I suspect it would be great for kid's with social/emotional sensitivities, too.  Children can wrap themselves up in the fabric of the swing and rock gently or simply hide from the stimuli around them.


The swing was a gift for my oldest daughter.  A gift from MY sister.  And, yes, there was a moment when I thought that gift was going to end my marriage (alright, a bit dramatic, but...).



But, for an incredibly active 6-year-old little girl who could leave most traditional use-your-imagination toys behind, this swing is the best thing since sliced bread.  My daughter is quite creative.  Just give her a pencil and sketch pad, or markers and paper, or stamps and glitter glue and you'll see magic right before your very eyes. She's just not much into toys.  I'm okay with that.


But she LOVES this swing.  Each time she swings she discovers a new trick or new directions to go.  In some ways, this swing puts her in her natural element. - flying, free, soaring, and creating.  It's magic just to watch.




So, I love this swing because it really fits her.  And there's something about watching your own child fit so seamlessly into her surroundings.  It's as if one day that swing will swallow her and she'll be one with it.  It's beautiful and peaceful and silly and giggly all at once.

 

Even my husband has come to love that swing . . .until the day arrives that he needs to repair the holes we made in the ceiling!


4 comments:

  1. Wow - what an amazing girl! And that swing is so so cool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I caved on the idea...and, I'm glad I did. :-)

    - From your loving and understanding husband.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful thing - and I bet you never (well, hardly ever... ) have to say, "Stop jumping on the furniture!" A perfectly beautiful, creative outlet right in your living room!
    -Cindy

    ReplyDelete

Please share your encouragement and positive thoughts about my posts. I do appreciate your encouragement and support through my journey.

Peace be with you.