Sunday, December 11, 2011

surprising students

There are some moments when my students impress me.  Mostly I simply enjoy them.  Sometimes, I am frustrated by them.  But there are those moments - those. indescribable. moments.

It's important to know that I work for a church-related college.  As one might assume, most of our students are Christian.  So, the recent proposal of a local chapter of the Secular Student Alliance might seem a little surprising.  To be sure, this group has met their resistance among the more senior faculty and staff members.  Though, they've found their allies as well.  But, at a recent meeting (the one where their approval would be determined by a mix of faculty, staff, and students) their strongest allies turned out to be their very own peers - Christian and non-Christian alike.

You can read my posts throughout this last year and know that I've struggled with my faith since moving to this area.  I identify as Christian, but have felt judged and devalued by others who call themselves Christians.  It is a strange and jolting feeling to have felt so rooted for so many years and now find myself alienated and shunned by the very people I thought I could count on. 

Perhaps this is where I identify with my students who are athiest, agnostic, and secular humanists. I decidedly do not share their belief that there is no God, but I admire their search for self, meaning, and their connection to something larger.  I wish for them a community of support within which they can ask these questions.  I wish for them space to ask questions and guidance in finding answers.

To hold, on one hand, the idea that I'm immersed in a place where righteousness exists in levels and, on the other hand, a beautiful example from students of community, and support, and invitation, and grace can strike a cord of tension.  Though my heart softened and sang as I heard student after student speak to justify our support of this organization.  It was not the seasoned, educated faculty who gave me hope of inclusion and justice.  It was not the liberally minded administrators who brought tears to my eyes and hope to my heart.

No - it was - students.  Their eloquence and wisdom and openness and acceptance and love.  Perhaps this generation understands more than I do about reaching out to those around us and creating welcome.  Perhaps they will teach us not to judge the nameless, faceless other.  Perhaps they will show us how to listen, hear, and understand.

Perhaps we ought to learn from them.  Students - they have a lot to teach us!  Are you surprised?

2 comments:

  1. Oh of course. It is always the students.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! I think you're on to something... the future of the world might be heading into safe hands!
    -Cindy

    ReplyDelete

Please share your encouragement and positive thoughts about my posts. I do appreciate your encouragement and support through my journey.

Peace be with you.