Tuesday, August 14, 2012

one important lady

My sister and I had quite a good time planning and dreaming the events of this summer.  There were so many possibilities to create fun and memories for our children.  While there were certainly some dreams that couldn't fit in, there was one summer plan that couldn't be missed.  A priority it was!

You see, there is a lady - a very special lady - who is responsible for this whole mess of aunts and uncles and cousins.  My sister and I call her Grandma.  She's also known as Great Grandma (because she is great says my son), Ma (in the way only Italian children can pronounce), Betty to her friends, and Bea by my grandfather.


She's a feisty old lady, she is.  She's outlived most of her friends.  She's prays each day for God to bring her home and she really means it.  

She's not too old to scold us or to tell us how it is or to offer her opinion of the world today.  And she's not too timid either. We all chuckle when another bends the first knuckle on the pointer finger and gives it a wag in imitation.  We call it The Betty.




But she's not too old to be generous and this is what we will remember most.  You can be sure that you will be fed for even the shortest of visits to her home.  You'll never leave empty handed.  And my children know to expect a small bag of pencils or snacks when she visits us.  Generous with gifts, but generous with her spirit.



More than food or trinkets, we can also count on her to listen with kindness, to laugh with hardiness, and worry with compassion about each one of us, and to love with all she is.  You see, while we made her a priority during this summer of ours, she's made us a priority our whole life.






3 comments:

  1. a beautiful tribute to a beautiful lady.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ok, if they're all like this, I may not be able to read them anymore - a little teary eyed over here....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful tribute and terrific photos - you're lucky to still have her with you!
    Love, -Cindy

    ReplyDelete

Please share your encouragement and positive thoughts about my posts. I do appreciate your encouragement and support through my journey.

Peace be with you.