Saturday, May 7, 2011

Mother

Photo taken by my 3 year old daughter

Somehow I've gotten from being a small, fragile, sweet smelling newborn, the object of my mother's affection, to a woman sharing affection with three children of my own.  I don't suppose it was really "somehow."  I got here because my mother helped me.

She set an example of what it meant to love, to teach,to listen, to be quiet, to worry, to care, to let go, to hold on.  

To this day, she still worries more than she should.  Though, I know fully that her worry comes from a genuine desire for me to be happy and well.  

She still lets go knowing I'll need to learn from my own mistakes.  She still holds on watching me parent my own children and offering her care when we need it.  

She still teaches me things that come from her own earned wisdom.  

She still listens and listens and listens!  For someone who thinks out loud about things big and small, a listening mother is the BEST THING OF ALL!

She still loves with a warm, big, open heart!

Eight years ago, her mother died.  Each Mother's Day she is reminded of the empty space her mother once filled and the gifts her mother gave her.  In a week when I've been thinking of giving and receiving, I know what my mother has given me.  And I know that I could never return the generosity (I haven't even purchased a Mother's Day gift for crying out loud).  For she is big in her giving, as was her mother.  I suppose she would say that my giving back is to pass along to my own children the kindness, love, caring, compassion, and listening that she has given me.  I will sure try!

Happy Mother's Day, Mom!  I love you!

And Happy Mother's Day to all dear mothers reading this today!

2 comments:

  1. What a beautiful tribute to your Mother! Isn't it this "circle of mothering" that makes this earthly journey so amazing!?

    Happy Mother's Day to you too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank for the kind reflection about you and me. I love you as only a mother can love and I'm thrilled that you know what that means. You are a great daughter and mother.
    Love you

    ReplyDelete

Please share your encouragement and positive thoughts about my posts. I do appreciate your encouragement and support through my journey.

Peace be with you.