Saturday, July 30, 2011

Veges

We joined a Community Supported Agriculture this summer (because I'm a working mom and couldn't tend a full blown garden if I wanted to).  We do have a small garden and a love of home grown, fresh vegetables.  And we live in an area ripe for buying locally grown produce, eggs, meats.  Thank goodness for that!



So, Wednesday is Vege Day in our home - almost as exciting as gymnastics day or library day!  Vege pick up invites the surprise and anticipation of the week's offerings.  Whatever is ripe is what we get.  Then, the trick of learning what to do with this bounty.  




The kids are involved in this, too.  That's the point, really...





When I arrive home from work on Wednesday evening, they are lined up with my grocery bags and ready for the road trip.  They love to select the perfect cucumber or choose from the variety of herbs.  Sometimes they pick the prettiest herb - like pineapple sage - which I have NO idea what to do with.  They are very pretty, though.

My kitchen has become something of a culinary lab with new (to me) concoctions such as strawberry/rhubarb crumble, garlic scape pesto, and haluski.  Up this weekend is apple oatmeal cookies, garlic green beans, roasted potatoes with chives.  Delicious!  




I've enjoyed the discovery, the adventure, and learning all wrapped up in a few simple veges.

1 comment:

  1. That's the way Mother Nature intended it to be, I think. Good job. mom

    ReplyDelete

Please share your encouragement and positive thoughts about my posts. I do appreciate your encouragement and support through my journey.

Peace be with you.