Sunday, February 27, 2011

Worry

Today's Gospel lesson was from Matthew in which he tells us not to worry.  Unfortunately, like many women and most mom's, this is something I do very well - worry that is!  I've come to believe that worry, for me, is rooted in a fear of losing control. 

Sometimes I worry over work things (how will this program reflect my office, am I making a difference in the lives of students). 

Sometimes I worry about my children (that's dangerous, I don't want you to get hurt, don't say that, it's mean). 

Sometimes I worry about my faith (do I know what I believe, how does this all fit together). 

And sometimes, those fears collide (am I working too much or spending enough time with my kids, what will my children believe about God when they grow up)

Oh, and the list goes on and on....  We are good worriers!

I have found, though, that we can comfort ourselves and move away from our worry.  A child psychologist once told me that we can look at worry as a "worry monster" who lives inside our heads or our bellies.  Our worry monster is always trying to trick and bully us.  And we need to take charge of our worry monster. 

In our home, we have weapons that have been proven to slow down that worry monster.  For starters, breathing is one of the most powerful weapons we have.  We take in a deep breath so as to prepare for the largest monster bubble ever!  Then we slowly blow that bubble (careful not to blow too fast so that the bubble doesn't pop) and we throw that monster-in-a-bubble to the moon.  It works like a charm.

Here are some other weapons from our home:




The soft, worn corner of a blanket...

A thumb...

Some of us need more weapons than others...
A gift from my daughter before surgery which turned round and round in my hands until the time to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your encouragement and positive thoughts about my posts. I do appreciate your encouragement and support through my journey.

Peace be with you.