Friday, March 4, 2011

Positive Thoughts

I was conducting an interview today with a candidate for an entry level position.  She asked me what I thought we did well in my department and what I thought was not going well.  I giggled at the question!  Why?  Because I'm great a explaining what we are not doing well and what we could be doing better.  Funny that she would ask me to think positive thoughts on a Friday, I thought.

So, I'll focus today's positive thoughts on my work this week:

It is so easy to be frustrated with college students, but I need to remember that they are growing, learning, challenging, pushing boundaries, making mistakes, and then, growing and learning.

I'm thankful for the amazing student leaders I watch and work with daily.

I'm thankful for the students who ask good questions.

I'm thankful for the mistakes students make and I'm thankful that many will rely on me to help them learn from their mistakes.

I'm thankful for the students who bring with them serious mental health issues.  They remind me of my purpose in their lives.  They remind me how fragile students can be.  They evoke an emotional response from me and help me remember that I may bring emotion into my work.

I'm thankful for the students that are angry at college administration (whether they should be or not).  Maybe these students will stand up to our government administration when they are angry about that, too.

I'm thankful for students with disabilities who advocate for themselves even if it is irritating or inconvenient for me.  At least they are learning to use their voice.

I'm thankful to have the good fortune to work with individuals who are thoughtfully and intentionally mapping out a plan for their lives, learning who they are and constructing who they will be.

For I've learned that these important four years set the foundation for a lifetime of learning, reflecting, exploring, changing, discovering, thanking, becoming, and finding our way.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your encouragement and positive thoughts about my posts. I do appreciate your encouragement and support through my journey.

Peace be with you.