Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Lessons from a Drive

"The grass is always greener . . . "

"This OR that . . ."

"You can't have your cake and eat it, too."

These cliches filled my mind during an early morning drive to my doctor's office.  The drive into a large, urban city reminded me of my long ago commute of bumper-to-bumper, four-lane highway decorated with red brake lights and sounds of honking horns.  Each day, the 12 mile commute lasted more than an hour and cost me a lot more in stress and anxiety.


In sharp contrast, my drive home was more typical of the daily traffic in my more rural life - wide-open, flower-lined roads, blue skies, and streets named for the people who live on them (Mae and Gene Lane).

 
I've come to love this simpler life.  Don't get me wrong, we are busy. Often, too busy.  But, the pace is different here and the air is clear here and everything is green.



On my drive, I also realized the dichotomy that is life.  

There are many things I miss about my urban life.  Mostly, I miss progressively minded people.  I miss a brand of Christianity that is genuinely open and welcome to all people, that blends a bit of tradition with a bit of contemporary in a thoughtful and meaningful way.  I miss a diversity in people - Black, Middle Eastern, Asian, Latino - all speaking their native tongue in the local shopping areas.  I miss culture - music, art, theater.

I don't know that I can have "both/and."  It's been an exhausting search.

I like the simpler life, though.  So, for now, I choose this road . . .

1 comment:

  1. Oh isn't that the toughest part...wanting the both/and...

    I am so happy for your green space and clear air and slower pace of life right now!

    ReplyDelete

Please share your encouragement and positive thoughts about my posts. I do appreciate your encouragement and support through my journey.

Peace be with you.