Tuesday, June 26, 2012

the arrival

1500 miles lay between the two families.  1500 miles to be traveled by car.

Wednesday's text read: We are on our way.

Thursday's text: We're in Arkansas.  A few hours later: We're stuck in Arkansas. Which turned out to be the remnants of a car accident much earlier in the day, shutting down a major highway for hours.

Friday's messages were much more encouraging.  At 6 p.m., the text read: We're in Cincinnati.

They were six hours out and contemplating whether to stop for the night or keep plugging.  The kids were in great spirits and had handled being cooped up in a car for two days rather well.  There was hope in the air.

We cheered them on from our front porch as we watched to sun set and found creative ways to occupy our time. 

Then they were in Columbus.  Then on 80.  Then Akron.

The chatter and conversation from my front porch was precious:  When they get here, I want to show them my swing.  Well, I want to show them the bedrooms.  I can't wait to play Just Dance on the Wii.  I'm going to win!

By now, it was well past 11 p.m., but sleep was farthest from our minds!

Then they were on the highway near our home.

Then a few streets away.

My littles abandoned any activity and waited with angst in the front yard, watching for headlights on our usually quiet cul de sac.

There are here!  And here's what happened next:






 
Sometime near 2 a.m., the frenzy and excitement calmed as sleepy eyes and yawns overtook us all.  Twelve heads on pillows, resting with anticipation of summer time well spent.  Oh, it's going to be a great time!

2 comments:

  1. Wow! What an exciting and wonderful time for you to share together! I still can't believe your sister made the 1,500 mile trek with five kids! Amazing!

    This will be a summer the cousins will always remember!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So very exciting!
    -Cindy

    ReplyDelete

Please share your encouragement and positive thoughts about my posts. I do appreciate your encouragement and support through my journey.

Peace be with you.