Thursday, June 28, 2012

repurposing: look what I did

I'm not much of a thrifter, to be honest.  Thrifting takes patience and I'm not good at patience.  I'm not good at being a patient shopper either.  So I avoid the stores and the yard sales at all cost and hope pretend my absence in the stores is helping the cause.  Right?

I did, however, make a big thrifting score this week.  We have an office.  This office has a desk (with a computer and chair, of course).  That's it.  Yep.  That's it.  I've been looking for a shelving unit with cute little cubes, made of wood.  And I found the exact shelves I want.  They look something like this:

EXPEDIT Shelving unit IKEA Finished on all sides. Can also be used as a room divider.
Image borrowed from Ikea


I didn't want to fork out over $200 and I didn't want to buy something that would someday end up putting chemicals in the air or soil.  So, when the classroom building renovation on campus was complete and they were giving away the old office furniture, I went searching.  Yep! Giving. away. Four sets of metal shelves for FREE!

Not as cute as the cubes, but they aren't too bad either.  Three in the office.  Perfect for office supplies, books, crafts, and photos.

 
And one in the garage, for garden shoes/boots, sunscreen, water toys and more.  Best of all, the metal will stand up to the mud and wet much better than wood anyway.


Not really that creative.  Not really earth-shattering.  But a rather successful first attempt at this repurposing/thrifting thing.  Don't you think?

2 comments:

  1. Oh those are amazing!! That is perfect thrifting -- and for free! So fun to see your office, though I notice there are some labels on the sides of the three ring binders... :)

    Hugs,
    Claudine

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's great! Your found something totally purposeful for your home while and not buying "new" things. Watch out, you might catch the thrifting bug now.... : )
    GREAT JOB!
    : )
    XO

    ReplyDelete

Please share your encouragement and positive thoughts about my posts. I do appreciate your encouragement and support through my journey.

Peace be with you.