Tuesday, June 5, 2012

a new writer

First graders begin each school morning with Kid Writing.  A great way to start each day in my opinion.


They have their very own books in which they can write whatever they want and are encouraged to illustrate their stories.

To my great pleasure, Peace has taken quite well to this activity.  So well that she has completed her fourth book just this week.  I've so enjoyed her telling of weekend activities, special holidays or family events.  But something about this last book has me swelling with pride and joy and love.

Peace is not a particularly decisive young woman.  If you placed three books in front of her and asked her to pick her favorite, she could not.  Her favorite sport - they all are.  Ask her which is her favorite color and she'll ask you the question back.  Of course, she'll tell you what a wonderful color you've chosen, but will not choose her own.  If she does pick a favorite, she'll quickly add a minimum of 5 other offerings as her quite equal, yet not superior favorite.

This beautiful piece of her personality can be seen in any artwork or coloring she's ever done.  Given a simple shape to color, most children will pick their favorite color and fill in the shape.  Peace will carve that shape into many, many different pieces (patterns, stripes, new designs) to ensure that EVERY color is represented.

A peace-loving, justice-seeking mother's dream come true.  Of course, when that same mother is also quite a decisive woman herself, there can be a tinge of frustration at Peace's willingness to go along with the crowd or her inability to voice any strong opinion.  Oh, be careful what you wish for, mama.  Ahem!

I digress!

So I found a little treasure inside this latest of Kid Writing Books.  On each and every page is some very clear expression of emotion and thought.  She's taken every day events in her life and has expressed them not as a regurgitation of the things we did, but moments to ponder and savor.  What a sweet, unexpected gift!






Check out the expressive faces in this illustration.  Do you see the O shaped mouth matching her word choice 'amazed?'


A favorite passage:
But me and my Dad just stood there like you would when you are amazed.

Can't you just close your eyes and feel exactly the thing she is describing!

It soothes me to know that inside her head is the ability to reach a conclusion, develop her own thoughts and opinions, and understand the emotion she experiences.  It excites me that this is all balanced with a peace-making, compassionate approach to life. 

Perhaps the best way to share what I mean is to share her own writing sample.  This one comes from a Saturday afternoon playing and creating on the porch while Papa and I prepped and planted in the garden.

When it comes to having children
everything goes wacko!
But, sometimes you don't know
what you're going to get from your little ones.
Because your children think you're special.


Ahhh, she is a special kid, this one!

2 comments:

  1. OH! That last one is my favorite! What an amazing little lady you have! And I have to say that I love how inspired she is. I have a feeling she gets that from her mama <3 Your pride and love for her come through every word of this post. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So very sweet! I hope she'll keep writing - keep those notebooks handy!
    -Cindy

    ReplyDelete

Please share your encouragement and positive thoughts about my posts. I do appreciate your encouragement and support through my journey.

Peace be with you.