Tuesday, June 12, 2012

watching mama

There is a new Mama in our neighborhood.  In fact, she is right in our own front yard.


One beautiful morning my mother, my children and I watched this new Mama for almost an hour.  She marched back and forth from the high grass to her burrow, preparing the nest for her littles.  Yes, I said high grass.  Right. in. my. front. yard. Ahem.




Mama rabbits usually run when they know humans are nearby.  But, this Mama had a job to do.  She looked us square in the eye as if to say I'm not leaving and Watch over my little ones.


She was even being eyed by another friendly creature who had taken shield behind the utility box.  Every time Mama wondered his way, he would duck underground.  Then he'd pop back up to observe her.  He was really too cute.  I wouldn't mind him too much if he wasn't tunneling under my house, my porch, my patio, and probably in my attic.  Sigh.


Over the next few nights, we've seen Mama return to feed and check in.  She's reliable, consistent and confident.

Now we wait anxiously for sight of those baby bunnies when they grow just a bit bigger and stronger.  Patiently, yet excitedly . . . we wait.

3 comments:

  1. When that chipmunk showed up it made me smile. How cool is that? What a great post. I especially love that you sat and watched and soaked in the experience with the kids. I can't wait to see bunny babies!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful post - and very exciting to be waiting for baby bunnies! (Really beautiful lily photo on your new header, too!)
    -Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh how exciting! I wonder how many little babies there are? We have a domesticated rabbit, a lop-eared named Daffodil (one of these days I'll blog about our bunny) and she looks just like your front-yard friend - except with floppy ears!

    ReplyDelete

Please share your encouragement and positive thoughts about my posts. I do appreciate your encouragement and support through my journey.

Peace be with you.