Tuesday, June 19, 2012

making room

Two homes, many miles from each other, are filling with anticipation.  In Texas, packing and planning suck up the energy of a weary mama of five.  The three day road trip seems insurmountable in some ways.  Yet, the journey promises to be well-worth the wait. 

In the second home, much is happening in the way of preparation.  Extra mattresses are being secured, bedrooms rearranged, the second bathroom emptied of all but a set of linens.  The office is set up to host the new little scrapbooker who will most assuredly need time away from the other children.  A few new toys have been purchased to accommodate the growth, craft supplies replenished. The sizeable grocery list readily posted on the fridge for the last minute preparations later this week.  Eleven mouths make for quite a long list!


Along with the anticipation, both homes are wondering: was this a good idea? are we nuts?  can we make it six whole weeks with each other? will eight children be too much for one mama/now child care giver to handle?



You see, in the two homes live two sisters.  One is a working mama, the other works at home.  When one sister is in need, the other responds.  Sometimes, we respond in ways that may seem overzealous to others.  But this is what we do for one another.  In the absence of summer childcare for my three littles, my sister and her five children are driving 1500 miles to stay with us.  She will be my child care.  If you've been keeping count, she will be caring for eight children - ages 9, 8, 7, 7, 5, 4, 3, and 10 months.

There have been open and honest conversations about food, bedtime, space needed, partnering in this time, cooking, cleaning, escape plans.  We are so bold as to hope and imagine that this can and will be one of the most fun and memorable summers of our children's lives.  What a great opportunity for the cousins to grow close, to learn together, to experience together, to be together.

So different from last summer this will be.  Last summer was one in which I made dreams and plans.  This summer will require flexibility, adaptability, less planning and more simply being in the moment.  Because when an opportunity like this comes along, one should simply soak up every. single. minute.

Now, if you'll excuse me this week, I have to start making some room.  For I have very special visitors coming.  Very special indeed.



3 comments:

  1. How AWESOME!!! Wow - this is an amazing opportunity for all of you. I wish you much fun and laughter with very few "upsets." If you could handle one more visitor, I would love to see all of you sometime during this adventure. I don't want to intrude, so let me know if it's even a possibility!
    -Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am smiling from ear to ear - despite how stressful this morning has been!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh oh oh wonderful! I agree that this will be oh so memorable!

    ReplyDelete

Please share your encouragement and positive thoughts about my posts. I do appreciate your encouragement and support through my journey.

Peace be with you.