Sunday, April 24, 2011

Cousins

As a young girl, I remember enjoying play time with my cousins.  Though, as we've gotten older we haven't remained close.  My children have many, many, many cousins all of whom are very special to them.  But, there are four (and soon to be five) that are almost like siblings.  They are my sister's children.

My oldest and hers are six months apart.  The next two are 6 weeks apart, then 9 months, and then her fourth and fifth.  No more for me!  And despite the miles that separate the current seven, they remain close through her storytelling and mine.  My eldest niece wants to be a working mom like me and my oldest daughter reminds me so much of my sister.  In fact, I often confuse their names.

But, nothing (and I mean nothing) is more fun than getting the seven of them together for an extended weekend.  Here are some playful stories of their time together . . .

The youngest two sat together at dinner.  The shared a bench and shared a book while waiting patiently for food.  They both love Dora and Diego and had a wonderful conversation about the adventures of the more famous cousins.


Until . . .


Then, their uncle (the tattoo artist) came to visit with his fiance.  The cousins decided to try their own hand at tattooing. Welcome to the family for their new aunt!



Uncle even paid them for their craft ($1 each)!


There were quiet moments, too. 




Then, there was dancing - Irish dancing, ballerinas, and Just Dance (Wii).  Even the little man got to play, though his remotes were not hooked up.  He was happy!



There were sleepovers and bedtime stories.  There were giggles and laughing, silliness and tears, sleepless nights and quiet nights.


But, my favorite story goes like this:

Four-year-old cousin: There are trees out there.  

Three-year-old cousin: Do you have trees in your backyard?

Four-year-old cousin: No, God planted the trees.  But I planted the bushes.


1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a wonderful wonderful weekend! Happy Easter to you!

    ReplyDelete

Please share your encouragement and positive thoughts about my posts. I do appreciate your encouragement and support through my journey.

Peace be with you.