Thursday, April 21, 2011

Lovingkindness

"This is my commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." (John 15:12)  And Jesus example of love was to give himself over to death for you and for me.

Tonight, at worship, I found myself thinking, yet again, about this notion of non-judgement.  "Today, I will judge nothing that happens."  Is the notion of non-judgement connected with the idea of love?  I say, definitely!  Surely to love others the way Jesus loved us is to forgive and understand those that we love, to show compassion and to be unconditional.  How quickly judgement can tear apart our love for other people.

Christian or not, this commandment can be a great rule for life.  Love one another!  What if this were the ONLY rule we had to follow.  Wouldn't this fix the woes of the world?  Would we kill each other over difference if we loved one another?  Would we steal from each other if we loved on another?  Would we be self-righteous if we loved one another?  Would opinions be so right and so wrong if we loved one another?  Would riches matter if we loved on another?  Would we have to judge and be driven by our judgement if we loved one another?

In my meditation practice this week, I'm practicing a technique called lovingkindness.  I have to tell you that it is rocking my world!  In this technique, you recall kind things you've done for others and the way you feel in those moments.  Holding steady to that feeling, you say aloud "May I be happy.  May I have ease of living."  Then you say, "May all things be happy.  May all things have ease of living."

Recalling acts of kindness was hard enough, being the critic that I am.  But wishing me and all things happiness and ease of living has rendered me useless in my daily life.  Where I was quite capable of making sound decisions even a week ago, I find myself questioning my intent, the impact my decisions will have, and the consequences of my decisions with far more heart and empathy than ever before.  It's almost paralyzing!  I've lost my footing, but do believe these are growing pains into a new way of being.

I learned tonight that the word Maunday is a Latin word meaning commandment.  As such, today is Maunday Thursday because in Holy Week today is the day we honor this commandment Jesus gave us.  Today we also honor holy communion - another gift given to us by Jesus as an act of love.


In my Christian tradition, we call this love.  In Eastern tradition, it is called non-judgement.  Two cultures, two traditions, one gift that can bring peace to those who engage.

Wishing you the peace of love and non-judgement this Maunday Thursday.

1 comment:

  1. As you know, I'm horrible with expressing my thoughts sometimes...OK, most of the time. But, this posting gets at one of my core beliefs...God speaks to different people in different ways but the lesson/theme is similar at it's root.

    Thank you also for the posting. I've never correlated love (or non-love) to judgement. But, after reading this posting, it makes perfect sense. I feel like this was an 'Ahhhhh' moment for me.

    Love you forever!

    ReplyDelete

Please share your encouragement and positive thoughts about my posts. I do appreciate your encouragement and support through my journey.

Peace be with you.