Wednesday, April 13, 2011

In the Space Between My Thoughts

"The soul is found in the space between our thoughts."  Deepak Chopra says this when he speaks of meditation and the reason for quieting our minds.

My journey into meditation began in hopes of seeking a stronger connection with God.  I've come to value the quiet and the glimpses of space between my thoughts.  I've not had that cataclysmic meditative experience, that moment where you transcend your thoughts and become aware of a new space.  Yes, I'm discouraged. But, I also know someday it will happen and the journey is enjoyable!

Romans 8:6 reads "to set the mind on the Spirit is life and peace" and Romans 8:9 "...you are in the Spirit, since the Spirit of God dwells in you."

But, if I can't see or hear my soul today and if I haven't felt that meditative "aha" moment, I see a path to peace.  I greet each morning in anticipation of my meditation, in anticipation of the challenge before me to learn a new way of being.  And, I do believe that within me there is a larger presence - a presence which is eager for me to know it more.

Psalm 130:5 reads "I wait for you, O Lord; my soul waits; in your word is my hope."

So, I encourage myself to be patient.  I discourage my judgment of whether I am good or bad at meditation or whether I will ever "get" meditation.  I acknowledge my frustration and try to set it aside.  I wait.


Surely one who moves slowly with intention has space between her thoughts and knows her soul!

As I consider the spiritual law for the week (Pure Potentiality) I realize the challenge before me.  I'm painfully aware of how accustomed I've become to the constant movement in life, the judgment of my mind, and the disconnection with nature.  

I appreciate that I've been more intentional about creating quiet spaces where I can be truly present in the moment (meditation and silence).  

I am thankful Spring has arrived to turn my attention to the world outside of me (commune with nature). 

I am saddened by the number of judgments I make (practice non-judgment), including the judgment that I'm a failure at non-judgment.  

I firmly believe that once you call a behavior to your consciousness you can change that behavior.  So, each day I will begin again.  Each day, I will believe and each day, I will engage in non-judgment - if even for a moment.


I would love to hear your story about a behavior you were able to change!  Please share...


1 comment:

  1. This is a beautiful, beautiful post!

    Oh you are so right about the "constant movement in life"....I have found that it numbs me to the point that my feelings and thoughts and calm only have the chance to catch up if I slow down enough to let them.

    I love your perseverance with your meditation...the ritual of it is an important part I think.

    ReplyDelete

Please share your encouragement and positive thoughts about my posts. I do appreciate your encouragement and support through my journey.

Peace be with you.